Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It was the best of times...

Really bad news this time...I went back to my doctor yesterday because the pain in my leg is not subsiding. He determined that I have a stress fracture in my tibia. I have an appointment to meet with the physical therapist, but basically I cannot perform any type of impact exercise for 4-6 weeks. I was talking to my physiology professor, who happens to be an M.D. specializing in exercise physiology and he said that the injury was just an unfortunate result of everything going wrong all at the same time. It took me 3 months into the training to discover how horribly my feet overpronate; I had no base mileage built up before beginning training, and I basically didn't listen to anything that my body was telling me!
Despite the fact that I will be unable to run in this race, I am in no way discouraged! I learned more about myself and what I am capable of in the last few months that I have my entire life. I am also really excited about trying out new forms of exercise during my recovery!
That great thing is that I don't plan to die any time soon, and there are only about 78 gajillion races every year. So, I will have ample opportunity to catch another race in the future.
Chris is continuing the training; he fell a little behind but is quickly catching up. I will also continue to train with him just in a different way. I will be riding my bike during the runs, a la Dave during Lauren's marathon training! That's right; I have resorted to being the water-bottle biatch for the next month!!
Anyway, I just wanted to send out the update!
Talk to you all soon!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

David kept saying that he didn't know if you would be able to run or not...and I just now checked the blog for the awful truth. David has a doctor's appointment this morning about the pain in his foot, which has kept him from running for the last week. So, we shall see...as much as I'd like to do the race with all of us together, if it's just me and Chris crossing the finish line, so be it. There's always the next race...

Meanwhile, keep feeling accomplished! We need to get together one weekend very soon.