Friday, February 01, 2008

Goodbye, old friend...

Well, it seems as though my relationship with my first gen black iPod Nano has finally come to an end. My husband suggested several days ago that I spend some of my bonus money (which I got today's pay check) on a new Nano. I said, no, that would be silly, I'll just use my old one until she finally passes on to the wild blue yonder before I bring in a younger, cuter model. I owe it to her. I remember the day I got her...

I ordered my first Nano during the training for my first marathon, the Nike Women's Marathon, with Team in Training. Before that, I was using a Sony portable no-skip sports CD player; a big, bulky thing, but it carried me through many a short run, blaring my Silvertide, Jet, or The Killers CD as I made my way around the LSU lakes. But, like a best friend in elementary school, I began to outgrow my CD player. Even my short runs were becoming so long that I had to listen to the CD more than once. So, I got my Nano. I managed to convince my mom that it was a great idea to go ahead and let me order it and have them pay for it as a birthday present, even though I ordered it in October and my birthday is in December. I remember my mom saying that she thought it sounded like "a spoiled brat" present. This is, of course, when MP3 players were still a relatively unknown technology to my family, and the thought of being able to carry around your entire music collection just seemed excessive to my mom.


But I convinced her to let me order it, and we spent many a long run together. We trained for that marathon, three half marathons, a 5K, and began training for another marathon before she finally began to fade. The Nike+iPod David gave me a year ago for my birthday made her the perfect running companion on both solo and group runs. Then, recently, she's been acting strangely, and her screen has a shade of burnt orange creeping in on the right side. And last night...every time a song finished, 10 seconds into the next song the Nano would completely restart, little gray apple screen and everything. This makes a 40 minute run
pretty frustrating, escpecially in the freezing cold when I'm wearing gloves, and it's difficult to use the little buttons.


So, I say goodbye to my old friend today, and hello to a new one I plan to purchase this afternoon: the new, flashy pink version of the iPod Nano. I can already tell we're going to be great friends, too.

No comments: