Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My poor meniscus...

According to the MRI and my doc, I have a torn meniscus in my left knee. Torn meniscus=no marathon for me. I meet with an orthopedic surgeon some time next week to discuss what I should do to get running again. He's an LSU med grad with sports medicine experience, and the office he's in comes highly recommended by one of David's coworkers, so I'm sure he'll do a great job. Until then, Dr. Rodriguez told me not to run or do any weight-bearing exercises, which means it had better warm up soon so I can get in that pool. Is bouldering considered weight-bearing? Hmmm... He also prescribed me a brace, which I think is actually hurting my knee more than it is helping, so I'm not sure how much I'll actually wear it. I will if the doc next week tells me to, because I want to get out of this dark, run-less time as soon as possible. I just hope I don't have to opt for surgery--and if I do, that I can put it off and still successfully do lots of things other than run.

On a lighter note, I did have a pretty good bike ride yesterday. And David and Ashley seem to be progressing reasonably well toward their marathon goal, so I will be there on the sidelines, cheering them across the finish line.

No comments: