Monday, January 29, 2007

Halfway There...

We are officially half-way through the training program. The 8-mile run on Sunday concluded week nine! Chris and I had a really great run on Sunday; because we are still unsure of pacing and whatnot, I have broken the run down into each mile so that Lauren can see if we are on track and if we are tackling the long runs properly. Plus, I just learned how to use a bunch of cool new features on the GPS watch!
Mile 1: 9:53
Mile 2: 10:10
Mile 3: 11:07 (the extra minute came from a 1-minute walk/water break)
Mile 4: 10:01
Mile 5: 10:01
Mile 6: 11:11 (includes a minute walk break/water/sports gel pack)
Mile 7: 10:09
Mile 8: 9:49
Total time: 1:22:24 Average pace: 10:18/mile
The run was the best long run that I have had throughout the training. My right shin is incredibly sore today however; I am not sure if it is a muscle strain or shin splints. (It wasn’t hurting at all during the run) Any treatment suggestions are incredibly welcome. I could barely walk on it today. This is the first time I have really felt any pain or soreness after running. I am not sure if I should try running tomorrow or if it is better to take the day off?
I can’t wait until we can get together again for another long run; Chris and I will definitely check our schedules, and we will set up another play date in Dallas one weekend.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Congrats on such a great run! Looks like you're right on track with an easy, 10 minute pace, and stopping every two for a walk and some water. As long as you feel that your breathing and heart rate are at the right level, then that's exactly where you need to be.

Now for the possible shin splints...Usually what I did to counteract shin splints was rub them with ice right after a run, then take a hot bath. Then if they were still bothering me, I would wrap the bottom part of my leg with an ace bandage the next day under my pants to support that muscle, and wear that for a few hours, then stretch the muscles by sitting on my knees and leaning backward and stretching my calves really well. If it still hurts too much, I say take a night off or run a shorter distance at an easy pace. Shin splints are often the result of ramping up too quickly with distance or pace, and the pounding on the concrete doesn't help. And if the pain goes away after running for a bit, don't let that fool you--shin splints are tricky like that. I've heard of runners getting stress fractures in the tibia from pushing themselves too hard.

There's a useful article on Wikipedia with links to some sports injury resources.

Lauren said...

Oh, and massage it really well. I used to make David do mine all the time.

He's a keeper...